Monday 9 January 2012

Contents

I am delighted to see the array of items Sara has included in her final parcel for me. It is also a nice feeling to finally complete the swapping stage of Re-worked and get onto the final designs and experiments. 


Leather Lace Gloves/Soft Leather Long Gloves/Brown Punctured Suede Gloves.


These are by far my favourite items in the parcel as I think they lend themselves perfectly to Re-worked as a starting point, or canvas, for the destructive processes we have been experimenting with. I love the vintage leather combined with lace - there's a definite soft/tough clash that has been identified so many times with items in Re-worked: something I have loved with Re-worked is natural themes occurring rather than being forced. The differing lengths obviously lend themselves to different looks when worn and then there's the idea that they don't necessarily have to be worn conventionally as gloves. As Sara said the brown gloves are obviously unique with their colour which is something I think I would like to keep or perhaps highlight. I see a lot of possibilities and potential with these items.


The silk and twine, and even the found objects are all quite staple pieces of Re-worked but as the project goes on there are always more uses popping up for each item. The found objects are always fun as they are unique, meaning the results of experimentation always differ. 


The studs are very exciting as they are something I am really interested in outside of the project and see them exactly as they are: perfect embellishments. Left alone, branded, rusted and perhaps combined with the likes of the other repeat item of the felt circles. I would like to see some really heavy, growth-like embellishment with these.


The buttons and paper clips are interesting too. I would like to see the paperclips used to play with building structures, layered together. As Sara mentioned, the buttons lend themselves to branding well but, like the found objects, buttons are usually quite unique so the material of the button, shape and pattern will affect the outcome. 


The collar and bodice will, like the gloves, provide excellent canvasses for play. I love that the collar is a sort of combination between the soft vintage collars we have used before and the structured men's collars I gave to Sara. On seeing the beautiful results of Sara's play with the pink bodice and the gold coloured pins, I know the bodice will become beautiful too. There is so much possibilities I'm still unsure of which direction I will go with the bodice. It looks like a jumble of different materials at the moment so perhaps using a rusty wash to bring out certain layers before embellishing will be very effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment