Wednesday 6 April 2011

Swapped Materials & Results


Bundle of fabrics. 
Mainly natural materials & neutral colours.


Small laser-cut felt circles.


The contents of the 1st parcel I received from Sara were a bit of a surprise in a way as I hadn't expected to deal with so much fabric so early on. It felt a little like being thrown in the deep end as at first I was clueless as to how to even begin experimenting with them. However I suppose this can be likened to first working with silver in the jewellery department: the idea that any attempt to heat or shape the metal was somehow ruining it, destroying the preciousness. 

I love the colours of the materials that I have been sent: creams, beiges and natural tans as the resulting brilliant oranges of branding or rusting will show up beautifully on them. The girly strips of lace are similar to some I have used in my own personal work so I am eager to use them in a new way and experiment. A few ideas for certain fabrics popped into my mind immediately upon seeing them so I will post the results of these ideas realised soon.

The material I am most excited about is the felt circles as they reminded me of the results of the experiments I conducted using tacs (see below) and I feel they have so much potential uses.



Two tacs removed to reveal rusted pattern.


All tacs removed - rusted print revealed.


Reverse of handkerchief.


I am very pleased with the results of my mini-experiments with the handkerchiefs and tacs. I think the print looks quite professional - a mixture of soft and tough - and think this is a pattern I would like to repeat on different fabrics to compare results.

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed with the results of the handkerchiefs - the regimented resulting pattern is lovely! And I agree, the laser cut wool circles should work beautifully when introduced to this process - maybe we can layer them up with the tacs?

    ReplyDelete